Friday, September 17, 2004

Hello folks! Mama Hardie is finally here. I got tired of informing Ewan of his various grammatical and spelling errors, so I've decided it's about time I entered some posts of my own. After all, in baby matters, Moms and Dads seem to have differing opinions about various "baby" issues. For example, Ewan had stated in the previous post that only smart babies play with the pots and pans. What I had actually heard from watching that terribly educational program "The View" was if you want your kids to be intelligent, don't go and buy a zillion toys and videos. Their creativity wil be encouraged by simply playing with everyday household items like the pots and pans. Onto other subjects, my going back to work has been on my mind recently. As poor Ewan and Phyllis can tell you, I've been a sobbing mess off and on for the last several weeks. Just thinking about leaving Keir is enough to send me into weeping convulsions. To make matters worse, I'm probably not going to go back to my original job. I feel like I really haven't known what to do with my life in regards to school and a career. My job as a dental assistant was just supposed to be a temporary occupation until I grew up and decided what I really wanted to do. Seven years later, and here I am still doing the same thing. Having a baby has made things so clear for me, particularly now that I'm contemplating going back to work. I definitely want to go back to school. As Ewan keeps saying, all we have to do is win the lottery so that I can be at home with Keir, and go to school. Ewan can fulfill his dream of training for an Ironman, and everything will be peachy! Back to the real world, and my dilemma of being a wife, mother and student seems to be a dream that's out of reach for the time being. As this reality sets in, I must take advantage of every moment I get to spend with our precious little boy. It doesn't seem fair that I have to choose between a paycheque and my son, but I also know that this is something thousands of women have to do everyday. In the end I simply have to count my blessings, and be grateful for our healthy, beautiful boy, and the fact that I've been able to be at home with him for almost a year. I must go, as Ewan is trying to make dinner and look after Keir on his own. Oh yes, I also must remind him to pick up a lottery ticket tomorrow morning!

No comments: